Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sidney Crosby on future of concussions in sports: ‘I’m not that concerned to be honest’

Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby sits down with Bob Costas on Tuesday night for an interview on NBC Sports Network (11 p.m. ET); and as one might expect with Costas, it touches on some interesting topics.

Like, for example, on the future of concussions in sports. It’s a subject they’re both passionate about, with Crosby having successfully rehabbed from them and Costas having expressed concern about their impact on future generations getting involved in sports.

When asked about the future of concussions and sports, Crosby said:

“You know what? I’m not that concerned to be honest. I’m probably more confident than ever that they’ll eventually find ways to help. Whether it’d be prevent them, or to treat them. I think the awareness is at an all-time high now for all sports.”

The subject later turned to Crosby’s return from concussions, and whether his game changed at all.

“I think back to the first time I came back from the concussion, I almost overdid it. I hit guys more than I typically would, I went into those areas probably more than I need to. To prove yourself, to yourself, that everything’s good,” said Crosby.

“You definitely have to go through some things. Get hit a couple of times. You get a couple hits to the head. You want to make sure everything’s OK.”

Tuesday’s Costas Tonight episode featuring Sidney Crosby will follow the NHL Rivals episode featuring the Boston Bruins-Pittsburgh Penguins rivalry, ahead of their matchup on Wednesday Night Rivalry on Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET. NBCSN will also air an encore presentation of Costas Tonight on Wednesday at 11 p.m. ET.

Some other Crosby quotes from Costas Tonight:

Crosby on his relationship with Lemieux: “He’s meant a lot. In my first year, (I) had the opportunity to live with him and learn a lot pretty early. I’m glad I had him around and had a chance to play with him…that made a big difference, especially early on.”

Crosby on overtime goal against Team USA in 2010 Vancouver Games to clinch gold medal: “Scoring an overtime-winning goal in your own country, playing for Canada, a country that’s so passionate about hockey – it’s pretty special…playing for Canada, we always know that expectations are high. But being in Canada, in the Winter Olympics, we knew we had to find a way.”

Crosby on Russian LGBT Laws and 2014 Sochi Games: “Growing up in Canada, that’s something I never even really thought about or discussed – it didn’t matter. Anyone had the opportunity to play a sport, and to go through that was something that was a learning experience for me. I never even thought that’s something that would come up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment